Health Advisory Issued for Lost Creek Lake, Again
State health officials have issued a health advisory for Lost Creek Lake after finding high levels of blue-green algae in the lake.
The public should avoid swallowing lake water as well as skin contact. The toxins can cause symptoms such as numbness, dizziness, difficulty breathing, heart problems, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting. Anyone experiencing those symptoms should seek medical attention. Children and pets are at increased risk for exposure.
Fish caught in those waters may be eaten but all fat, skin, and organs should be removed before cooking. Freshwater clams and mussels from the lake should not be eaten.
There has never been a confirmed human illness in Oregon caused by the algae or its related toxins. However two dogs have died in past years from algae related toxins along the Umpqua River near Elkton.