KAJO ON FB NEWS TWEETS Realty Executives
  • Home
  • News & Weather
  • Features
  • On Air
  • Calendars
  • Info
kajo logo
TIMER - TEMPLATE - Place Script between head and body tags - ADD THREE HOURS
G.P. joins county and Cave Junction in withdrawing from RVACT
The Grants Pass City Council during a special meeting today voted unanimously to withdraw from their membership in the Rogue Valley Area Commission on Transportation.

Councilor Dan DeYoung, who has been the council’s representative with RVACT for three years, told councilors that RVACT decides where the transportation funding for both Josephine and Jackson counties is spent and the group has representatives of every municipality within both counties. DeYoung says typically projects are split due to population with Jackson County receiving roughly 70 percent of the funding and Josephine the other 30 percent. However, in recent years, the two counties are no longer agreeing on how dwindling funds should be spent.

RVACT appropriates funding in three year cycles and in the last couple months money has been budgeted for years 2015 through 2017. No projects are slated in Josephine County during this upcoming cycle. DeYoung says, “I think this is a good time for us to separate.”

The Josephine County Commissioners and the City of Cave Junction have already signed a letter to the Oregon Transportation Commission indicating they are withdrawing from RVACT. Now local governments will petition the OTC to form the Josephine County Area Commission on Transportation.
Posted by Jared Dill